Microsoft Windows is the most-used operating system of computers in the world. We can define an operating system as the software used to enable the computer work and to manage programs and functions on the computer. An operating system is a software of the system to control the software and hardware resources of a computer. Here, we discussed the windows features and categories along with key benefits of Microsoft Windows.
History of Microsoft Windows
The operating system offers the computer with some shared services. An Operating System is a program that works as an interface between the computer hardware and the user and controls the functioning of all the tasks of the computer.
Windows is an operating system which is a combination of programs that controls a personal computer. Microsoft Windows evolution started back in 1983 and continued till 2018.
Microsoft Corporation produced MS Windows in 1985 by Microsoft and has been updated regularly with revolutionary windows features. It is providing computer users more convenience in operating multiple tasks.
This feature of enabling users to perform multiple tasks has made Windows a Stand-Out OS.
Personal computers were used to be operated by some text commands before the invention of Windows operating system. A revolutionary change in windows features has been taken place in RAM, Processors, etc after the emergence of Windows,
Microsoft Windows enables multiple viewing systems by using a graphical user interface. We can maximize, close and minimize Windows.
We can open multiple windows at the same time on the display screen of our computer using windows operating system. These windows have a unique feature of mutual interaction with one another.
Windows, introduced by Microsoft, is a family of several graphical operating systems. The very first advantage with Windows is we need not memorize the commands of DOS command line.
We can navigate through dialogue boxes, tabs, menus, buttons using the Mouse. Windows Operating System is named like that because it has the unique feature of allowing multiple tasks using multiple windows simultaneously.
Windows Features and Benefits
- Microsoft Windows operating system allows the users to have an interaction with the computer the input devices like mouse, microphone keyboard, etc.
- Windows OS enables the user to control data storage.
- We can share the memory of the computer among various activities of the computer.
- MS Windows OS always cautions the user about errors. It instructs the user what to do to troubleshoot the issue.
- We can perform multiple activities with this operating system by opening multiple windows at the same time.
- Windows operating system offers multi-Lingual Support. We can change the language of the Keyboard and the Language of the interface.
- Windows provides more security and more power to Computers.
- Latest windows technology provides faster processors, start-ups and data Transfers.
1. Types of Windows
- Layered Windows
- Pop-Up Windows
- Overlapped Windows
- Child Windows
2. Types of Operating Systems
- Single and Multi-tasking Operating systems Example: Linux, Windows NT, Win 9X
- Single and Multi-user operating systems
- Distributed Operating systems
- Template Operating systems
- Embedded operating system. Windows CE, Minix 3
- Rea-Time Operating system
- Library Operating system.
Microsoft Windows Family
|S.No.||Windows version||Date of release|
|1||Window 1.0||November 20, 1985|
|2||Window 2.0||December 9, 1987|
|3||Window 3.0||May 1990|
|4||Windows 3.1x||April 1992)|
|5||Windows NT 3.x||27 July 1993|
|6||Windows 95||August 24, 1995|
|7||Windows NT 4.0||24 August 1996|
|8||Windows 98||June 25, 1998|
|9||Windows 2000||February 17, 2000|
|10||Windows Me||14th September 2000|
|11||Windows XP||24 August 2001|
|12||Windows Server 2003||24 April 2003|
|13||Windows Vista||30th November 2006|
|14||Windows 7||22 July 2009|
|15||Windows 8||October 17, 2013|
|16||Windows 10||29 July 2015|
|17||Windows Server 2016||September 26, 2016|
|18||Windows Server 2019||2 October 2018|