This article deals with a method to create backup Thunderbird to Outlook 2016,2010,2010 platform to store emails with the help of Gmail account easily and explore some reason why we need to import emails from Thunderbird to Outlook mailbox. Before discussing method, a user needs to know some information about Mozilla Thunderbird.
About Mozilla Thunderbird
Mozilla Thunderbird an emailing client used as a free, cross-platform, open source, chat etc developed in the auspicious of Mozilla Foundation. Thunderbird can be termed as a platform for mailing, newsgroups, chat, news feed. In short, we can consider Mozilla Thunderbird as a proper platform for accessing all emails.
Thunderbird Profile Storage Location:
The Mozilla Thunderbird profile generally saves two sets of items. One set in the local mail and other copy of mail on the server according to the account configuration In case you install the Mozilla Thunderbird, it makes profile namely default. The profile is used automatically until the users invoke profile manager and then make a new profile.
The profiles are saved in Thunderbird Program Files. Program files are usually static and do not change until you upgrade your Thunderbird mailing client. Every profile is saved to the hard drive in public folder and if a user wants to move data to Outlook account then the user needs to create a backup of Thunderbird to Outlook Platform.
In Thunderbird folder is named using the convention:
The eight digit <random_string> number generated by Mozilla Thunderbird & <profile_name> is assigned to a profile. The storage location of folder varies according to the Operating system installed on it.
%APPDATA% is used instead of C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ folder,
Finding your Thunderbird Profile to Backup Thunderbird Folders:
- Click Menu Bar/Button >> Help Menu>> Troubleshooting Information.
- Application Basics Section>> Profile Folder >> Click Open Folder.
- In Windows Explorer Section>> Show Profile Name and Path.
Reasons to Archive Thunderbird email to Outlook PST Format
While Comparing features of Mozilla Thunderbird to Microsoft Outlook Application, Thunderbird lack behind due to various advanced features of Outlook and existing user can transfer Thunderbird emails to Outlook 2007,2010,2013, 2016 to store emails as a backup or to move mailbox folder to PST format.
- Anti-spam Function: In Outlook, users can avoid the unnecessary emails but, Mozilla Thunderbird fails to avoid the unnecessary/ spam mails
- Built-in Calendaring Property: MS Outlook makes notes, maintains to-do lists, calendars. But, Thunderbird fails to do it without a third party extension
- Language Support: Microsoft Outlook supports 96 languages, but Mozilla Thunderbird supports 53 only
- No compatibility Issue: Outlook is compatible with Exchange Server and MAPI. Moreover, Exchange is important to maintain the mailing items offline.
Method to Backup Thunderbird to Outlook 2016,2013, 2010 Versions
Before creating a backup to save emails from Thunderbird to Outlook 2016,2013,2010 mailbox, a user can create a backup of their backup of their Mozilla profile data. Some of the methods are mentioned below to create a backup of Thunderbird account data.
Method to Import MBOX mail folders to Outlook 2016
As there no such direct way through which Mozilla Thunderbird files can be backed in MS Outlook you need to make use of Gmail Account to Thunderbird Mailing Client. Follow the instruction to migrate & create backup Thunderbird to Outlook PST format.
1) Open Thunderbird >> Go to Account Setting to create Gmail Account.
2) Now Provide the Credentials such as Name, Email Address and Password of Gmail Account
3) IMAP protocol selected already selected. Click on Done option.
4) Now Thunderbird prompt user to an Interface, to validate the Gmail account again. Provide Gmail Email Address.
5) Type Password. Click Next.
6) Now Click on Allow option So that Mozilla Thunderbird read user Account information and mailbox data.
7) Now create a New Folder within the Gmail account profile configured on the Thunderbird Email Client.
8) Now Move the desired email messages from the MBOX File to the Newly created Folder [MBOX Folder].
9) Now Configure Gmail Account in MS Outlook Account to view using IMAP or POP Protocol to view all the Thunderbird emails in Outlook Mailbox account. [Note: In Gmail Enable the IMAP Setting to configure the account in Outlook Platform otherwise user connectivity issues problem].
Using above approach, the user can backup Thunderbird emails to Outlook 2016/2013/2010/2007 but have careful while configuring Gmail Account in MS Outlook.
Drawbacks of Manual Method to Import Thunderbird to PST:
The method seems easy but it is really difficult to backup Thunderbird to Outlook 2013/2010/2007 but an above-Mentioned method to export MBOX to PST, but it seems full of risk. To import MBOX mail to Outlook 2016 platform, you need to synchronize the account to Gmail and Outlook. Putting your mailing details to any mailing client can easily make it vulnerable for accessing. If you have any network failure while performing the conversion, it can lead to data loss or data corruption. The process cannot be even performed in bulk to minimize the time and consumption of data.
Alternative Solution to Import Thunderbird Emails to Outlook 2016
So, the best approach is using a third party tool. The MBOX to PST Converter is the best-suited approach for performing the task. The tool provides an option to backup Thunderbird email to Outlook 2016/2013/2010 versions. Mentioned below are the key factors of the tool that distinguishes it from others across the globe.
1. Converts the emails from selected MBOX files/folders
2. Display the email files and its attachments easily
3. Saves MBOX files to PST/EML/NSF/MSG formats
4. Detects automatically clients data with/ without MBOX extension applied
5. For batch MBOX files to PST conversion, No need to install Outlook Application
The write-up serves the users with an easy approach to backup Thunderbird to Outlook 2016/2013 & below versions. So, the users should connect to the article completely for understanding the entire backup process. In addition to it, the entire content explains the users with the need of migration process and why it is necessary to prefer an automated approach to convert the files easily and with no issues.