Why Your Site Fails in Google Mobile Friendly Test?
On 21 April 2015, the Most Popular Search Engine Google has updated its search algorithm to support mobile friendly sites in the mobile search results, and thus penalize sites that do not have mobile or adaptive version. This article solves the mobile friendly support fail by Google mobile friendly Test. To help site owners to determine whether, or not, their website is considered mobile friendly, Google also released a mobile testing tool friendly.
Why Google Mobile Friendly Test does not validate my site?
Unfortunately, many website owners are finding that their website, they thought adaptive or mobile friendly, fail the test of Google! This can be extremely frustrating, but fortunately there is a simple solution.
- Mobile Commerce: All You Need to Know About M-Commerce
- Mobile Apps to Get Your Restaurant Back on Track
Why a Mobile Site fails the Google Mobile Friendly Test?
Before continuing I should note that in this article we will only discuss adaptive WordPress websites, or have fully functional mobile versions, which appear correctly on Smartphone and tablets. If a site does not pass the Google mobile friendly test, the error message is often the same, like: “This page uses X resources blocked by robots.txt”
What does that mean?
To understand the problem, there are two important concepts to remember:
- First, you should know that the purpose of a file “.txt“is to indicate to the robots of search engines such as Google, the pages or files on your site, it must or must not index. A common use of the file “robots.txt” is to prevent the emergence of a login page or a thank you in the search results. For sites running on WordPress, the file “robots.txt” is also used to block certain administrative registers on your site, such as “/wp-admin/“or “/wp-happy/“.
How to correct robots.txt to pass the test?
The solution is actually quite simple in theory…
If you are not sure to find the file “robots.txt “that is the problem, you can use Test Robots.txt in Google Webmaster Tools.
- How to convert PDF to DOC online Free ?
- Best Online PDF Editor : Top Five Tools to edit PDF files Free
However, there are some pitfalls to avoid:
- Be careful not to allow access to all the directories or files that you do not want to see on Google.For example, if you keep your style sheets in a directory called “Resources”, but that you also keep private PDF files in the same directory (like ebooks that you are offering in exchange for the email addresses of your visitors), Google will also index PDF files, it is advisable to store them in another folder, not to change the download link.
- WordPress, the use of some SEO plugin or redirection plugin can make your file “txt“invisible, via FTP. To correct this, you will need to check the settings of the plugin. If necessary, you can also create a new file ” robots.txt “and place it where Google will fetch it, this file usually replace the changes made by a plugin.
The Google mobile friendly test tool is not perfect and can become a real headache for site owners who spent hours to ensure that their site works perfectly on mobile devices. On the other hand, the mobile friendly test is an excellent diagnostic tool, and can be a great asset to site owners who are trying to understand why they rank well in addition to mobile search.
Even if your site works fine on your smartphone, you should definitely check compatibility “with Google standards” through friendly mobile testing tool, to ensure that you are not unknowingly penalized mobile search. Is your site passes Google mobile friendly Test? Share your results in the comments.