Cloud is a term that refers to a technology that is very trendy. Many people use it and yet they are not able to clearly define. What is the Cloud and Cloud Storage? When do we use it? How can it be beneficial for your business? If you use any type of social media or data storage services online, you likely use the cloud without you realizing it. In this beginner’s guide, we discuss the who, what, where and why one of the most abstract terms of technology.
What is Cloud?
The first thing you must understand about the cloud is that it is not a physical thing. Cloud is a network server, and each server has a different function. Some servers use the computing power to run applications or “provide a service.”
For example, Adobe has recently moved its creative services in the cloud. You cannot buy Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, etc.) in a box. Instead, you must pay a monthly fee to use each service. This is why it is now called “Adobe Creative Cloud” instead.
Other servers in the network are responsible for storing the data. For example, when you take a photo using your smartphone, the image is stored on the drive internal memory of your phone. However, when you upload to Instagram, you upload to the cloud.
So remember: It is a network of servers. Some servers provide an online service, such as Adobe Creative Cloud, and others allow you to store and access data, such as Instagram or Dropbox. Another example is google cloud storage. There is a good chance that you use this daily without knowing it. Use Google Drive, SkyDrive, iCloud or Evernote for best Cloud Storage for Personal Use. Whenever you store information without the use of internal data from your phone or computer, you are about to store in the Cloud storage. Computer Backup Services based cloud storage services.
What are the advantages of performing tasks on the Cloud storage?
The decision of the company to “Cloud storage” is often motivated by financial reasons. Companies were forced to buy their own hardware, the value depreciated over time. But now, with the cloud, companies have to pay for what they use. Thus, the cloud is as good option to save thousands of dollars in business each year.
In an article on the benefits of cloud computing, Salesforce wrote: “When, in the past, people run applications or downloaded to a computer or a physical server from home software programs, cloud computing allows people access to the same types of applications through the Internet. “
Working on the cloud allows your company to be flexible, efficient and profitable. If your company has quickly need access to more resources, it is possible in the cloud. Conversely, if she needs to move to a lower level of consumption of resources, it can be done just as easily. Because of this scalability, the elasticity of cloud is often compared to that of a rubber band.
A Brief History of Cloud storage:
- The history of cloud storage as far back as the 1950s. At the time, a computer was so great that it needed a whole room to contain it. Because mainframes (computers) were so expensive, organizations could not afford to buy a new one for each user.
- So they developed methods of “time sharing”, which allow multiple users to share access to data and CPU. Today, this idea of “timeshare” is the premise of cloud computing.
- The next major event in the history of cloud computing took place in 1969 when JCR Licklider developed ARPANET (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network) in the hope that one day everyone would be able to access data and programs anywhere.
- Despite these early advances, the Internet does not have enough bandwidth to make the cloud accessible to everyone and those to the 90s.
- Professor Ramnath Chellappa was the first to use the term “Cloud Computing” in 1997 and 1999 Salesforce became the first site to offer applications and software on the Internet.
- Amazon officially launched in 2006 its own platform called Cloud Computing Amazon Web Services (AWS). AWS provides Online Cloud Storage for web sites or client-side applications. Amazon is the very good on Cloud Storage Providers for Business.
- There are likely using AWS daily. The social media sites like Instagram and Pinterest are using AWS to accommodate traffic and data. In fact, AWS propels hundreds of thousands of sites and large organizations in more than 190 countries worldwide.
What is the Magnitude of the Cloud?
Nobody knows exactly how much space can be provided by cloud-based services like Google, Amazon or Facebook, but it is estimated that the cloud can store about 1 Exabyte (one billion gigabytes).
But what is the size of an Exabyte? Exabyte memory can contain the same amount of data that 4.2 million hard drives Macbook Pro. This is a super mega storage space.
Is it the Cloud storage safe choice?
The Cloud storage is ideal for storing non-sensitive information, such as lists of tasks on platforms like Evernote. But unsurprisingly, the idea of storing the personal information somewhere “in the cloud storage” makes many people suspicious.
Some companies, like Google, to meet this concern accordingly. Google recently announced that it will automatically encrypt the data for users of paid services cloud storage.
Please share this article with your friends on Social Media like Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and Pinterest. Thank you for your support.